About Catapult Design
Catapult Design is an award winning, independent, global, non-profit design agency. We strive to improve the quality of life of underserved populations through innovative and accessible design. With a network of passionate, resourceful and inquisitive Design Strategists, Designers and Client Managers, we work hard to ensure that people and the environment are central to our design process.
The Design Director will report to the CEO
About Design Director Position
Catapult Design is seeking 2 full time senior level Design Directors to work alongside the CEO to lead design projects for socially and environmentally driven clients around the world. The role will encompass work in service design, product design, human centered design, graphics, ethnography and innovation. Experience from conceptualization through to implementation is required. The Design Director will advise and consult with Catapult’s Designers, Strategists and Client Managers to create strategic design direction for social entrepreneurs, philanthropy, corporates and governments.
The candidate will be responsible and accountable for complex projects, the streamlining of design research, synthesis, prototyping and insights. This position calls for a candidate with considerable experience, creative intuition, and a passion for social impact design. The chosen candidate will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects in gender, global health, climate and entrepreneurship. S/he will ultimately will help to shape social impact design globally.
The Design Director will contribute to Catapult Design’s reputation for innovative ideas and award winning design and will help to facilitate teamwork in order to continue Catapult Design’s vision and caliber of design. The ideal candidate will also be a positive addition to the stimulating culture of Catapult Design which has been built with people who are passionate, inquisitive and resourceful.
Only candidates with 6+ years of product and/or service design experience need apply.
- Develop product/service design strategies for clients in global health, gender, environment and entrepreneurship
- Ability to develop Catapult Design owned concepts which can both have local impact and potential for scale.
- Contribute and sometimes lead on business development pitches and other activities
- Presentation of work to clients
- Direct supervision of designers and help drive a collaborative and cohesive team throughout the design process; defines perimeters of the projects and helps the team work within set parameters
- Attend kick-off meetings, design presentations, internal design reviews as needed (Travel may be required often to Africa, Asia and around the U.S)
- Knowledge of business strategy, the Sustainable Development Goals, technologies for development, and design innovations for development
- Energizes projects by stimulating innovative and resourceful ideas and teamwork
- Continues professional development through developing a detailed understanding social impact best practices and design processes
- Have a good knowledge & understanding of the manufacturing (in the case of product) and delivery process
- Participate in the interview process for new Catapulters. Be willing to give feedback and work with interns and fellows in the design process
- Displays ownership of projects from start to finish ensuring creative excellence.
US: GA and CO preferred but other considered including remote
Please contact info@catapultdesign,org with CV, cover letter and portfolio link.