Creative Director (Full-Time), Catapult DesignApply Now
Who we are
Catapult Design is an award-winning, independent, global, non-profit design agency. We strive to improve the quality of life of underserved populations through innovative and accessible design. With a network of passionate, resourceful, and inquisitive Design Strategists, Designers, and Client Managers, we work hard to ensure that people and the environment are central to our design process.
The following values express the importance we place on our employees and our work, and they are integral to our hiring practices, performance reviews, and promotions.
- Humility: We prioritize beneficiary needs and put in the work to identify and understand them.
- Collaboration: We collaborate with experts, end-users, funders, and implementers to develop solutions capable of change.
- Integrity: We are not afraid to provide constructive feedback and to protect the process in order to arrive at a better solution while ensuring a great customer experience.
- Initiative: We seek out entrepreneurial team members who have demonstrated an ability to pursue their passion. The challenges we are tasked with typically have not been solved in decades – our team members go the extra mile to initiate and own activities
because they’re motivated to solve them.
- Discipline: We don’t apply band-aids to wounds that require stitches. We make the conscious effort to impose a meaningful order to our activity in order to produce our intended result.
The Creative Director will contribute to Catapult Design’s reputation for innovative ideas and award winning design and will help facilitate teamwork in order to continue Catapult Design’s vision and caliber of design. The ideal candidate will also be a positive addition to the stimulating culture of Catapult Design which has been built with people who are passionate, inquisitive, and resourceful.
Only candidates with 8+ years of senior level product and/or service design experience will be considered.
LocationUS: Brooklyn NY (preferred), Savannah GA, or remote
ReportingThe Creative Director will report to the CEO.
Catapult Design is seeking a full-time Creative Director to lead design projects for socially and environmentally driven clients around the world. The role will encompass leadership in service design, product design, human-centered design, graphics, ethnography, and innovation. Experience from conceptualization through to implementation is required. The Creative Director will advise and consult with Catapult’s Designers, Strategists, and Client Managers to create strategic design directions for social entrepreneurs, philanthropy, corporates, and governments.
The candidate will be responsible and accountable for complex projects, the streamlining of design research, synthesis, prototyping, and insights, and manage a team of talented designers. This position calls for a candidate with considerable experience, creative intuition, and a passion for social impact design. The chosen candidate will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects in global health, education, climate, and entrepreneurship. S/he will ultimately help shape social impact design globally.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $160,000 to $170,000 USD per year. In addition to a base salary, this role includes the following benefits:
- Discretionary annual bonus
- Medical, dental, and vision group plans
- 401K with employer match
- Paid time off for holidays, vacation, sick days, Summer Fridays, and training days
- Develop product/service design strategies for clients in global health, inclusion, environment, and entrepreneurship.
- Ability to develop Catapult Design-owned concepts which both have local impact and potential for global scale. A true entrepreneurial spirit is required.
- Lead business development pitches and other development activities.
- Display highest level client engagement practices, including ensuring that all clients are involved with and comprehend the design process.
- Direct supervision of designers and help drive a collaborative and cohesive team throughout the design process; define parameters of the projects and help the team work within them.
- Attend kick-off meetings, design presentations, and internal design reviews as needed (30% travel time will be required internationally/domestically).
- Knowledge of business strategy, the Sustainable Development Goals, technologies for development and design innovations for development.
- Energize projects by stimulating innovative and resourceful ideas and teamwork.
- Continued professional development through developing a detailed understanding of social impact best practices and design processes.
- Participate in the interview process for new Catapulters and continues to manage and shape the first class design team. Be willing to manage and mentor junior designers as well as manage more senior designers.
- Take ownership of projects from start to finish ensuring creative excellence.
- Define and continuously emphasize creative excellence indicators for and with the entire
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV, cover letter, and portfolio link.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Catapult Design. Pursuant to applicable law, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.